Serving Indianapolis since 1932
German Park traditionally serves members of Indianapolis' Federation Of German Societies as an outdoor recreational facility.
- When this facility is not reserved for "Federation Members-Only" use , the park is then available on a 1st~come,1st~served basis for a Rental Fee to cover our operational expenses.
The Federation of German Societies in Indianapolis was formed in 1932 by twenty-two organizations. It was determined then that each society were to have two delegates and meetings were to be held quarterly. Their purpose was to perpetuate the German culture.
"Progress was made at the beginning - sponsoring German Festivals at the old "Germania Park" It took many hands and hard work to bring the Society through some tough times. Many of the smaller societies fell from the ranks, but the GERMAN PARK ( 25 acres located at 8600 South Meridian ) purchased in 1934, was paid for within a ten-year period" [excerpt taken from the JUNE 9,1984 booklet celebrating German Park 50th Aniversary ]
FUN FACT: The original General Rules and Regulations , Rights and Privileges and By-Laws of the Federation of German Societies , Inc. were all written in German. In addition, only German was spoken at the Federation Board and Delegate Meetings.
The current member organizations are: The German-American Klub of Indianapolis, LLC ( Edelweiss Resturant is located within this Klub), The German-American Klub Ladies Auxiliary, Heimath's Unterstutzungs Verein, The Indianapolis Liederkranz, The Indianapolis Liederkranz Ladies Auxiliary, The Indianapolis Liederkranz Dammenchor, The Indianapolis Saenger-Chor, The Indianapolis Soccer Club ,Preussen Unterstutzungs Verein, The Southside Turners, The Southside Turners Ladies Auxiliary.